Dubai: Yemen's Iran-backed Houthis said on Wednesday they had "targeted" a container ship bound for Israel, a day after the US Central Command (CENTCOM) said the militant group had fired two anti-ship ballistic missiles in the southern Red Sea.
The Houthis, who control much of Yemen including the capital, have since October attacked in the Red Sea commercial vessels they say have Israeli links or are sailing to Israel, in solidarity with Palestinians in Gaza.
The Houthis' military spokesman Yahya Sarea said in a televised speech the group had "targeted" the CMA CGM Tage container ship without elaborating. He did not say when or where the incident took place.
Sarea also said the Houthis had sent out warning messages to the ship and that its crew had paid no heed.
Asked about the Houthis' claim, the French shipping firm CMA CGM told Reuters the vessel was unharmed and had suffered no incident. The company also said the ship had been headed for Egypt, not Israel.
![Armed men stand on the beach as the Galaxy Leader commercial ship, seized by Yemen's Houthis last month, is anchored off the coast of al-Salif, Yemen, December 5, 2023. [Credit: Reuters]](/_next/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fd2py10ayqu2jji.cloudfront.net%2FArmed%2520men%2520stand%2520on%2520the%2520beach%2520as%2520the%2520Galaxy%2520Leader%2520commercial%2520ship%252C%2520seized%2520by%2520Yemen%2527s%2520Houthis%2520last%2520month%252C%2520is%2520anchored%2520off%2520the%2520coast%2520of%2520al-Salif%252C%2520Yemen%252C%2520December%25205%252C%25202023..webp&w=3840&q=75)