Wellington: Weeks after cyclone Gabrielle hit New Zealand leaving at least 11 dead and displacing thousands, the Sikh community has cooked and delivered more than 7,000 meals so far to those in need.
When Gabrielle hit the island's northern region on February 12, and power went out, the Sikh community in Hastings swung into action knowing there were going to be a lot of people without food. "My first thought was that people need food so why not cook in large quantities," Sukhdeep Singh, a volunteer, told NZ Herald. He then made his way to the Eastbourne St gurdwara in Hastings, where he cooked meals along with a team of young volunteers and priests. The team cooked and delivered more than 600 meals that day. "Our main focus was delivering to the evacuation centres for the first three to fours days, then we started the rest of Hawkes bay," he told NZ Herald.
